On November 7th, 2017, the Board of Supervisors voted to end El Dorado County's participation in Prop 90 effective November 7th, 2018. This will not affect any existing property owners who have already been approved for a Prop 90 base year transfer. The Assessor will continue to process applications as normal and is seeking the advice of the State Board of Equalization on questions related to the recission. Any questions should be directed to Karl Weiland, Assessor by calling (530) 621-5757, or in person at temporary building T3 next to the main library at 345 Fair Lane in Placerville.
Prop 90 allows homeowners to transfer their low property tax base from another county into El Doardo County. We are one of only 10 counties that participate in this program and the only one outside of the Bay Area or Southern California.
- One of the property owners must be 55.
- Replacement residence:
- Must be purchased or newly constructed within two years (before or after) of the sale of the original property.
- Must qualify for homeowner’s exemption at the time application is made.
- The fair market value of the replacement property must be equal or less than:
- 100 percent of the original property fair market value as of the date of sale if replacement residence is purchased or newly constructed before the original is sold.
- 105 percent of the original property fair market value if replacement residence is purchased or newly constructed within 12 months of the sale of the original residence.
- 110 percent of the original property fair market value if replacement residence is purchased or newly constructed between 12-24 months of the sale of the original residence.
- If the replacement residence is purchased first, the change in ownership will be assessed until the original residence is sold.
- The county will take the application and verify the information with the prior county.
- The application fee is $500 and is due at the time the application is submitted. The Assessor holds the check until the transfer is approved.
Visit the Assessor’s web site or contact Karl Weiland, Assessor at 530-621-5757 for more information.